View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

I am trying to understand the first step. Recognizing that I have no power over his addiction. I KNOW that I cannot control it, but how do I just turn it off, and try not to anymore? How do you just flip a switch like that?
Good for you for doing step work! And it is just that.....WORK! I concur with Chino. It wasn't a light switch for me with my AS.....more like a dimmer switch and then one day suddenly "click". I STILL have my days where I feel myself backsliding and know that I have to get me head back in the right spot (which in theory is on top of my shoulders not rolling across the floor..lol).

With my exhusband (who definitely had issues with drugs and alcohol along with some pretty serious psychological problems), I knew it was time to end it when the pain of staying with him was greater, than the thought of living life without him. That's when I knew it was time to end the marriage. Using that powerful 20/20 hindsight, I made the right decision for me. Each situation and each person is different.....timing and choices are a very personal thing.

Welcome to SR......I hope you stick around. I have found great comfort here on SR and have grown as a result of the collective wisdom that so many here have shared with me.

gentle hugs
ke