View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Tommyh
It`s ok to stay sober

justfor1

I know a few of these circuit speakers and a few people who are on a state convention committee whose job it is to get those circuit speakers for a state convention.
there are quite a few different kinds of people out there speaking . I do not believe we have guru`s in AA,just alcoholics.

a man I know,lets call him "R", has a "circuit speaker sponsor" who is also a circuit speaker.
this guy gets "coaching and help " from his speaker sponsor.

"R" used to get a guy to tape his talks in his basement,with only the two of them there so he could "improve" on his talks when he listened to them.He would then mail them out to certain people,tapers, and state convention chairs.Can we say promotion?
'R" got on the circuit and stayed gone almost every weekend,he almost lost his job.His marriage came to a end during this time because of it.
He wasn`t taking care of his family.

My friends who are on their state convention committee has told me about a few folks,with holding their names ,who has good talks from the podium but are genuine butts when the meeting is over.They want the best rooms,the best food,and all kinds of stuff including money.Some want to chase women while away from their families.In other words,some of those folks are pretty sick and they just got a polished talk that sounds good.

however,not all are like that,there are some really good folks out there who really practice honesty and live a good program.I not trying to take anything away from them.

Frank S was a member of our group.He used to be on a circuit,going everywhere talking.When he reached 25 yrs sober he got drunk.They got him and helped him get sober. He never spoke again,staying sober,helping newcomers out,going to prisons and stuff.He stayed sober over 27 more yrs until he died.
There is a high burnout ratio among them.

My second sponsor used to be a circuit speaker,and one day he realized he was just entertainment.Thats when he quit the circuit.

A good talk to listen to is Tom Brady,emotional sobriety.
he got blunt honest about that speaking stuff and what it did to him.

so if you wanna be a circuit speaker there are several ways to do it.
one way is to manipulate and promote and kiss butt,and the other way is to let it happen when or if it happens.