Thread: Filed Divorce
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
banisheggshells

Shellcrusher, I just want to touch on one thing. Until this week you thought you were living with an alcoholic. Now you have found out its cocaine. The worst mistake I made was thinking that cocaine/pill addiction was the same as alcohol. When he switched, we didn't switch anything in our response to his attempts at recovery. He still went to AA, etc. That doesn't work. By the time I finally bottomed out, he was doing heroine.

Realize that cocaine/pills throws her into a whole new territory in terms of recovery/rehab. Biggest mistake I made was thinking that they were the same. It effects the brain differently. Also, the courts take a much dimmer view of a parent who lets their child live in a house with illegal drugs, than they do with the parent who lets their child live with legal drugs (alcohol). *both* of you bear that responsibility. They don't say "oh, but he didn't want her to do cocaine...." They hold both parties responsible if anything happens. (and with toddlers...how quick and into things they are...well, things can go wrong).

I'm not saying you have to divorce her. I'm just saying realize the addiction has escalated/changed and the legal consequences are much higher for you now. Imagine if you are in the car with her, get pulled over for whatever, and they search the car and she has a stash in the car?

Also, financially, she can burn through a whole lot more money in a relapse. Mine went through $2k in 24 hours. After I left him, I was still responsible for 1/2 of all the money he'd spent on drugs. It was a lot. It was really a lot.