View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
lillamy

Tuffgirl,

I think it's OK to let yourself do what you need to do. I sort of see the emotions I'm going to have to go through like this huge closet, the contents of which I'm not really sure of but they're kind of scary and either way, it's going to be a gigantic PITA to sort through it all... and sometimes, when you're on the verge of a landslide from the top shelf, you just have to allow yourself to slam the door shut for a while. Clean up the stuff you already did take out of there. Sort it through, take some to the landfill, see what can be cleaned up and recycled or made into something useful.

One of the most useful things I ever learned was to replace "should" with "could" in my inner monolog. You could choose to dive into these feelings that you're hiding from. But there is nothing that says you should, right now.

Give yourself space and grace. Go for a walk by the ocean. Dig your toes into the sand. Read a trashy novel (or a good one). Focus on some self-care, rather than on what you think you ought to be doing.

I see this forward movement much as I see physical training: You lift weights to get stronger, but the real work is done while you rest and let your body heal and grow. You've done SO much in a fairly short period of time. Give yourself time to rest and heal. Maybe that's what you need right now? Maybe you need to curl up in a safe place and determine that it's safe? That you're safe?

Big hugs!