View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Originally Posted by Shellcrusher View Post
We need to be done with this for our own health and safety. Damn AW doesn't even have the capacity to recognize this.
Interesting how they don't recognize that. My RAH still, at 6 months sober, can't seem to understand why I moved out. *SIGH*

One day I'd like him to acknowledge how unsafe living with him was - for a variety of reasons. How negligent it was to drive drunk with us in the car. Having fires lit in the fireplace and oil lanterns burning while heavily intoxicated in the middle of the night. How one word to school officials of the drinking and rages would have ended me in a yucky conversation with child protective services. I could have lost custody. And on and on and on.

6 months sober and I still get flashes of anger from the RAH. This past weekend he called me a pain in the a$$ for holding him accountable to plans he made with me after he double booked with other people. He did apologize shortly after I hung up on him, which IS progress on his part, but boy howdy...change takes a looooong time. You've got to protect your son, and do whatever it takes to manage your life better in order to effectively single parent him. My girls are much happier and relieved today to not have to be subjected to the anger, confusion, and inconsistency that living with him has brought upon us.

I guess what I am trying to say in a long winded fashion is even in "true" recovery - it is very painful and bumpy. I can honestly say today I grossly underestimated what this was going to look like. And I am grateful today that I had the wherewithal to get out when I did, even if in the end we stay together and make it past this. But for right now - today - thank God I got away from it when I did.

Good luck today - put your needs first and foremost on the table...and stay strong! Wishing you some peace day, even in the midst of chaos.

~T