Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1undone

When I came into these rooms, I was an athiest and the concept of HP sounded like a load of BS. But I came to realize that HP can be anything that is greater than me. My first HP was simply all people who are in recovery. That is, indeed, a power greater than myself. I quit thinking I knew everything and what was best for me. I didn't blindly embrace everything that I was told (and I still don't) but I did learn to listen objectively.
This describes me pretty well. In all the meetings I go this comes up in some way shape or form. It's probably the part of the 12 steps that stumps most people. At least that's what I'm finding for me and a lot of the members of AA I've witnessed. Just the fact that we are thinking about it now and dealing with this topic is progress to me. But then what the heck do I know at this point. I'm someone who at day 12 still hasn't picked a sponsor! LOL I know who I want to ask but of course it's taking me a while.

So for me, I have to be patient and right now as with others my higher power are the people that meet in AA that have been sober for years, heck months. I will take that for now. I have to go at my own speed and just because the person next to me in AA is quoting the Bible doesn't mean I have to do it too. I just listen with an open mind and know that I am a newbie who is just learning about herself and addiction. I'm okay with that for now.