Old 05-24-2011, 01:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
sandrawg

HAHAHA! Reminds me of an argument back in Feb about my exabf's drinking.

We'd been broken up for a couple of months, but still talking. His weekend binge drinking was upsetting me and we argued about it. He said, well what's my incentive to quit drinking if you won't be with me?

I couldn't believe it. I said, you need to do this for yourself. He couldn't understand why I'd be upset about him drinking if we werent' together anymore. Um, hello..because it's gonna kill you?

Originally Posted by Alone22 View Post
If I dare suggest that I expect him to behave as history shows he will, I get told that bc I am so convinced he's going lie/drink/break promises etc... I create the very thing I want to avoid. WTBH this very conversation happened at my house this morning almost word for word! I told him I have very little hope that things will change. His response was something like "why should he even try to change if the likelihood of me believing it is so low". I pointed out to him that he should want the change for himself and how I respond to it or not should not be a deterrent from him wanting to do it. He either wants to be sober and recovered or he doesn't. Whatever I do, think or feel should not change his desire. I know how true recovery works now....they have to want it for themselves. BTW he quit drinking 2 weeks ago on Mother's Day when I told him he could not come with us to our family event.