Old 05-23-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
jamaicamecrazy

Not during a particular episode but once during a counseling session when we were discussing separation he actually said that he would be drinking less after I moved out because I was the reason he drank. He drank in order to stay with me. That is when I knew that he had lost all sense of reality. I calmly said to him" You drank before I met you, you drank all through our marriage and you will probably continue to drink after I'm gone. I hope I am wrong. I rather be wrong about this. I hope you can prove me wrong. I will take responsibility for my part in what went wrong in our marriage but I will not take responsibility for you choosing to drink or choosing to go outside our marriage for a relationship." He was uncharacteristically silent. The bottom line-he is hanging out at the bar, making weekly purchases at the liquor store, and was falling down drunk after his father's memorial service. He even had a bottle of vodka on his nightstand.
I know it hurt to have him say that. But you know nothing could be further from the truth. Use it to gain strength when you need to remember why you are away from the insanity.