Thread: Introduction
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MeredithD1
Present

Welcome, Annie! I lived in Colorado from 1964-1995, 30 years in the Springs and a year in Denver, so Hello from another Coloradoan.

I have an AH (alcoholic husband), and my mother was/is mentally ill with so many of the same characteristics of an alcoholic parent, that I found great company in ACoA (Adult Children of Alcoholics) in the Springs back in the mid eighties. I'd been in a group for incest and sexual abuse survivors and the ACoA's in that group were the ones who told me how similar my mother was to their AP's (alcoholic parents). They invited me to ACoA. I agree with others here that Ala-Teen would be great for you, and perhaps even ACoA. There is nothing like a community of understanding people who have been there, to help you on your way to a better life.

I learned so much about myself through therapy and ACoA and psychology courses I took. I learned how I had sacrificed so much of myself to take care of my mother. It was really a role reversal - the child taking care of the parent - and it really did set me up to be The Caretaker Of The World, among other things.

Best to you; glad you're here.