Old 05-19-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
skippernlilg
Skipper

Hi, Writer,

I can share my experience, strength, and hope with you.

I'm an ACoA, and for the very reason that I now have a wonderful child that deserves (and 'lo and behold I found out I also deserve) a home that is safe and peaceful, I made the decision to live apart from my ABF. Now, I know you'll say, "but you weren't married, it's different". We have been together 11 years, and I have a 10 year old child.

I didn't see it coming either. In hindsight, the signs were there. It was a slow, painful progression into the disease I knew so well. And at first, because I lived it as a child, it must've fit comfortably like an old shoe.

The horror of finding out that I was subjecting the child that I love more than life itself to an unmanageable life was where my clarity arrived.

I came here.

I started attending Al-anon meetings. I got recommended reading material. I have learned the most so far from reading here and from reading in AA's Big Book. The daily devotions in "Courage to Change" has been very helpful.

The thing about the disease of alcoholism is that it does not get better. It only gets worse. Unless and until the alcoholic is willingly and purposefully active in a program of recovery.

Your 5 year old is already living in terror. How do I know this? I knew it by the time I was four years old in my home. You were able to walk away from your parents at age 15. See if you can be an advocate for your young children. They can't just walk out like you did.

In some states, a parent who willingly lives with another addicted adult can be charged with child neglect. This is not something to fool around with.

There are so many options of loving your husband without subjecting yourself and your children to an unsafe, unstable environment.

Oh, and ((((HUGS))))