Thread: Closure?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
sandrawg

Funny you use the phrase "I'm getting better"-that's exactly what my exabf's mother said to me in her last email, the LAST time I tried to alert them to how bad their son was.

"He was out of control for a while but now he's settled down and is doing much better."

Mm hmm. Heard that before.

Denial-it's not just a hallmark of the alcoholic.

Seriously, Mimic, I think you are best served focusing on yourself and your own recovery, and less on him.

Originally Posted by ONEinaMILLION View Post
Hi Mimic, just wanted to say I understand where you're coming from. On the day I left my AH I called his mom and told her what was going on. When he found out, he sms me telling me horrible things, basically that I was a mean person and that I was the worst thing that had ever happened to him. It hurt like hell, but I didn't react to his offenses. I just told him i hoped some day he'd come around and understand why I did it. I felt it was my responsibility to make someone aware of the situation. I couldn't just leave and let him drown himself in alcohol until someone found out, because I knew that time could never come (he's really good at deceiving and lying about his drinking habits). I'm not sure if I did the right thing, but if I went back I'd do it again. And just as I thought, soon after he came around and apologized for all the things he said. His family spoke to him and have him support and he started looking for help.
Now I've found out he is still drinking, and I feel bad cause I'm pretty certain I'm the only person who knows what's going on (I'm pretty sure his family is buying the whole "I'm doing better now" story). I felt like telling someone again, but then I decided it is not my problem anymore. Of course I care about him and sometimes feel frustrated to see that he hasn't changed (though he thinks he has). But I think at a certain point we have to realize that we've done all we can and that the only thing left for us to do is leave. And I think when we realize that we get closure; when we admit that we did all we could and that there's nothing else we can do for the other person or for our relationship.