Thread: there is a duck
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

One of these things is not like the others...

I am extremely grateful that I am no longer involved in the drama of his Quacking.
I will confess, though, now I see quacking everywhere.

I was looking up quotes from 2001: A Space Odyssey yesterday, when I found these two gems.

HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

HAL: Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

I remember watching this movie back in college. (I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it and wants to, so I'll try to be a bit vague.) I remember hearing those statements, and cracking up, because they're so ludicrous taken in context with the rest of the movie.

Sitting here now, reading them again yesterday, it hit me that I put up with that same exact thing for three and a half years, and it's just as ludicrous in this situation as it is in the movie. But I decided to believe them this time.
Just something to think about.

I'll believe them no more! No more ducks in my life, and especially not in my home. They rip everything apart and leave messes behind.