Old 05-15-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

That's one of the really annoying things about alcoholism. Often alcoholism seems to strike the most AMAZING people, and we can all see the "potential" there, if ONLY they would quit drinking. I also totally get the feeling you have too much "invested" to give up now.

The thing is, at some point (and you are probably way, way past it), you are figuratively (and sometimes literally) throwing good money after bad. You are continuing to waste valuable years of your life hoping for something that may never happen--his seeing the light and committing himself to recovery.

The realization we are in some ways "stuck" can keep us stuck for much longer than is necessary. Feeling "stuck" is really an illusion. We have choices. As unpleasant as our lives may be, sometimes the unknown seems impossibly scary. But the only way to make changes is to make changes.

Al-Anon can help you find the strength to make the changes you need so you can have the life you want and deserve to have. I wish I was still in my forties. You have a lot of good, productive years ahead of you. All it takes is putting one foot in front of the other.