Thread: Closure?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

I feel that way - yes. And my husband is supposedly active in AA. Closure doesn't have to be something we get from them. It can be something we provide ourselves.

As long as your guy is an active alcoholic, you and the relationship you had with him will not come first. You will not be a priority, your feelings will not be taken into consideration. The addiction wins, hands down, every time. You are a rival to this love of his and this love will win over you, and subsequently beat you down in the process.

And...the big if...he gets sober anytime soon, he may not be able to deal with the aftermath for a long, long time. Does that sound like a life you'd be interested in? If not, then let that be your closure. Write him a long Dear John letter and burn it. That could be closure.

But the hurt we will always carry around inside of us. It will get smaller and duller as time goes by, but I know this is one hurt that I will never forget. I just refuse to let it dominate my life anymore. He has taken up too much space in my head and that ends now.