Old 05-14-2011, 03:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grnmtn1

Originally Posted by SoloMio View Post
Many people on this forum have recommended "Under the Influence." Maybe that would help you understand the nature of addiction and how it impacts brain chemistry in certain people. My AH's doctor just recommended a benzo to cut his craving for alcohol and tobacco. It works somewhat in cutting the physical craving, but then there's the emotional one--not sure what would fill the void there.

It's good that you have made decisions that are in your best interest. It's very hard, I know. But no amount of rationalization will enable you to figure out why your friend acts the way he does.

Good to hear from you again--and I agree with JackRussellGirl--VT is my second home (we've spent our summers there for 15 years, and my son lives in Burlington, so I feel like we're "neighbors" right off the bat!
Thank you for the reccomendation, I will look for "Under the Influence".

The benzo's have been a huge issue for the last year, but the doctors just don't seem to see it. Or, more likely, want to deal with him and his issues anymore.

Yay, VT is beautiful. I'm glad you have been able to enjoy it and your son must love Burlington. They've had a lot of flooding this spring, hopefully the lake will recede soon.