View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 11:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
BeProactive

Thanks naive for all pointers. I will make a list and get to it one at a time.

Sandra - Yes, I do live in california. My lawyer told me that it is easy to get restraining order if there is any physical abuse but otherwise it is difficuly, she said. She did not say anything about an order based on "civil harrassment". All the nieghbours here know about his alcoholism and have seen him in various stages of drunkness - so have lots of witnesses.

I am losing trust in this lawyer (she gave me wrong advice about the lease as well) and hence decided to look for another lawyer. I asked my friend for reccos (she knows a couple of friends that went thru divorce, even one with an alcoholic wife that got sole custody). I am also planning to get some financials stuff straightened out (I already separated our accounts a while ago). My sister also spoke to the county legal aide department yesterday, they gave her some good pointers - I will call them on monday as well (they are closed today). After talking to the legal aid dept and a couple of lawyers - I will decide on what to do (either move to NY or start Restraining order/divorce proceedings here).

He has not been violent - he can get verbally abusive some times but mostly a quiet/pathetic/annoying drunk.

thanks for all the input and advice!