View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 12:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
naive

hi again-

moving apartments does not solve this problem. you will need to go to a lawyer to get temporary custody. i don't think you will get a restraining order if there has been no physical violence.

seek legal advice.

one thing you can count on his that the alcoholic makes many threats but follow through on just about nothing. they are not at the top of their game, so i would encourage you to ignore what he says/threatens/bullies and just go about your plan.

i would also keep your plan to yourself. do not share your plan with him, no matter how he provokes you. loose lips sink ships and leaving is a very dangerous time, as the alcoholic does not like to loose his enabler and the cozy nest of the home.

be careful with your banking information and passwords. i would also advise you to get important documents (passports, birth certificates, etc.) off-site, as well as anything valuable (jewlery, electronics) that he could pawn to get some booze. anything that makes him more comfortable there, get rid off, like cable tv, access to your internet provider, food he likes. watch out for him running up long distance phone bills...i blocked all international calls from my phone.

start documenting things: his drinking, his verbal abuse to you or the children, etc. this will help you in court. you would be wise to make contact with some local resources for women. they may be able to assist you.

the good news is that his reappearance has cemented your decision and resolve. this will spare you the waffling that kept many of us in a bad situation for way too long.

good luck. we are here to support you.

naive