View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
kittykitty

I agree with the others here... his therapist in no way shape or form should be discussing his process with you, and it is a huge conflict of interest professionally. Imagine how you would feel if YOUR therapist starting talking to your husband behind your back. Pretty nauseating. And as far as anyone telling you when you should or shouldn't "leave", well, that's codependancy at its finest. I should know. No one can make that decision, or even have an opinion about it, but you.

We do tell people in Alanon to try and not make any life changing decisions the first 12 months of recovery, simply because everything changes when we begin to work the steps, and discover new information about ourselves. Feelings go up, down, and around on a regular basis, so jumping to conclusions and making big decisions can be regretted later. As far as making a big decision based on someone else's recovery, I find that to be an extremely co-dependant mentality as well. Basing a decision about my life upon the status of someone else's life, waiting for things to change. Nothing says if you make a change for yourself during this time that you won't be able to go back to it later. If his recovery is genuine, he will appreciate the time to work on himself if you decide to put some space between the two of you.

Take care of you!