View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Originally Posted by Shellcrusher View Post
Yeah. Sure makes a point that we need to trust in ourselves and see the funny stuff in life.

Dogfood. Actually maybe you can help me. Aren't the Bears constantly breaking into people's homes/garages because they can smell the bag of dogfood in the garage? Just more silly Alaskan myths.
Oh ha ha - well that is sometimes an issue but rarely in the urban areas. For us here in the big town...its garbage. A black bear was shot recently for getting into garbage, and the folks who get caught violating the garbage rules get a hefty fine - like $300 or higher. Bears easily get used to eating garbage and will come back time and time again once they realize there's a free meal around. And there have been instances where they will break down a door or bust out a window to get inside a house where they were once "fed".

I grew up on a side of a mountain with lots of bears around...we had one in particular who got into our garbage and this bear came back each day for about two weeks straight. Pulled a screen off the window and made a mess of things he got into. My Dad finally shot at him, and we heard gunfire about 30 minutes later from neighbors down the street, and never saw the bear again.

Funny that growing up here - its not the bears that concern me but the moose. Not that they will eat you, but they are HUGE animals and they do kick and trample and if you hit one with your car, they end up in your lap. I've been charged before and it was damn scary!