Old 05-12-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

I let XABF dictate everything that we did, and if I didn't agree with him on things, that sparked a large argument, so I generally learned to put my preferences on the back burner, for most things. Now that I get a say in 100% of how I spend my time, I have been trying all sorts of different things.

I adopted a kitten. I love cats, I had one growing up, and adopting Peaches has been very healing for me. XABF also hated cats, so adopting her was my way of signaling to myself that the relationship really was over.

I have been slowly redecorating the rooms in my apartment. I am not rushing, it honestly depends upon how I'm feeling, and I want to make sure that when I decorate it's because it's what I want it to look like, not simply a way to change it from the way he decided it would look. So far I've done the den, the bedroom, and I've cleaned out all my closets. I still have the kitchen, dining room, bathroom, and living room to decorate.

I've redone the balcony. I bought giant flowerboxes, not the little ones he got originally, so I've got two giant ones in the front, then two smaller ones (the originals) on the sides. I have an herb garden in one of the little flowerboxes; the other three are sparsely planted with flowers. I want to have perennials in them eventually, but this year I'm satisfied with a couple brightly-colored annuals, as I'm not sure what perennials I want yet. I have a pair of hanging plants I bought, as well - cheap, but pretty. I got a topsy-turvey and planted beefsteak tomatoes, cherry tomatoes (red and yellow), a yellow striped heirloom tomato, two kinds of bell peppers (one is spicy), and a couple more herbs. I also have a strawberry planter, and I've already got two strawberries that are almost ready to eat, with many more on the way. I am doing it right this time, planting everything in potting soil rather than leaving them bound in the containers they came in (like XABF insisted upon last summer).
Most exciting of all, though, I am going to grow roses. I already have one shipped up from Texas, a red cascading rose, that I'm growing in a hanging basket. After this year the canes should be long enough that they'll start to drape over the sides (right now it looks like a bush in a basket). I also have three others on the way from Georgia, just shipped yesterday - Rainbow's End, New Dawn, and Winner's Circle - which will grow in large pots I've already set up. These plants will be younger, so they probably won't flower this year, but who knows? I might be surprised.
I figure if the cascading red blooms this year, and all four survive the winter, I am doing awesome.
I have never grown roses before, but always wanted to. Can you tell I'm excited?
My balcony is tiny, but I don't care, I am growing a jungle out there and enjoying it!

I have taken up cooking. I love cooking and baking, although not always. It depends upon how busy I am with other things - when things are quiet, I cook more. Right now I'm working on other things, but enjoying the mushroom soup I made last week, I still have enough for two or three more nights.

And of course Peaches is getting her own "Kitty Condo." Nothing fancy, just two giant platforms by the window. It's at the point now where she can use it, and she enjoys it. Yesterday I was doing laundry, couldn't find her, she's didn't come when I called, so I tore apart the laundry area scared to death that she got stuck behind the washer or inside my running drier... Only to discover that she's calmly curled up on the top platform, cleaning behind her ears and watching the neighbor's cats across the courtyard. I'm glad she likes it.

My National Geographic are up in my apartment from my parents' house, and I bought a subscription again, so I can't wait for them to arrive. I have been reading a little more - I want to read more, though... And I want to take up writing again, because I truly do miss it, but I'm not at the point emotionally where I feel comfortable diving into finishing my novel yet.

The apartment complex's swimming pool will be opening soon (I can't wait!) and I've also discovered the location of their fitness center, so I'll be starting in on the exercise at some point... And I think I'll start hiking again, too, or else buy a mountain bike and go biking instead, haven't decided. I have my instruments in the closet, and my cross stitch supplies, and my birdwatching binoculars with the nature books, and, and, and...

There are so many awesome things I can do with my life, now.

I am looking at that wall of text I just typed and thinking, "Who in the world is this person?" I don't even recognize myself anymore - but it's all for the good, I like this new person.
:day6