View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

I have had this experience so far. I actually pointedly told the RAH before he went to his first AA meeting that he has NO COPING SKILLS for life's daily stressors. He couldn't handle the small things, much less anything big (like marriage and step-parenthood). The more stress he felt, the more he drank.

Now he's lost...without that crutch to lean on he has no idea how to handle emotions...his or anyone else's. I also find him struggling to set boundaries. We've swung from none at all to ridiculously strict boundaries. Unrealistic boundaries. And boundaries that are another attempt to protect his right to do whatever he wants with no responsibility for his actions.

He's having to do things for the first time and its painful to watch him struggle. It's also painful to be the one who is on the receiving end of his "practice". From what I can see - he's really not "trying" this out on anyone else.

The positive note to all of this is I am better at teaching my kids boundaries. I am more aware of the importance in this life lesson because I see the impact of what life can be like if people don't learn this early. I don't think the RAH came from a family who set healthy boundaries. Not only did he not learn the lesson, but he spent 20+ years drinking and hiding from it all.

Long way of saying - yes...I do believe this to be true! ; )