Old 05-11-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

I love threads like this, where we can all get to know each other better. Thanks for starting it.

When I left my AH, I had absolutely no idea who I was or what I wanted to do. Twenty years is a long time, and going back to who I was when I was 24 at the age of 44 was kinda out of the question, lol. Although, I did want to find the core parts of me that I had lost along the way.

So, I simply tried everything that came to mind. I took a ballroom dancing class--without a partner. I ended up dancing once a week for 8 weeks with an adorable 17yo boy with two left feet. We had a blast and I really learned to laugh again. And (I think) he learned how to dance properly for the prom.

I went to city council meetings, thinking I might want to become politically active in my community. Turns out, not so much. But it was interesting and educational and I met some cool people.

I took a creative writing class at the local community college. Turns out the instructor was a local therapist who specialized in codependency recovery. (Synchronicity anyone?) I learned so much in that class, not the least of which is that writing isn't my thing.

Then one day, on a lark, I bought a DSLR camera. And I have to say, that was it. As soon as I got past the size of the manual, actually started taking photos, and learning what to do in order to improve them, I was hooked. I believe I've found my passion. I can't imagine doing weddings or portraits (although I did my daughter's senior portraits--another story for another thread, lol), because the things that do it for me are nature and wildlife. I only recently started with the wildlife and it has been such a thrill. The adrenaline of capturing an animal in action in the wild is so thrilling it's almost like a drug for me. Not a bad addiction to have, I figure.

As a matter of fact, right now as I'm typing this, I'm uploading photos in the background to several microstock photo sites. It's not anywhere near enough income to live on, but it's gratifying that people actually buy my photos. I have some ideas/plans for an online gallery that sells framed prints, greeting cards, etc.

This is my new self. The self that might never had been had I stayed and held out for my "dream." I think life has better plans for me than I had for myself. Who am I to get in the way of that?

Thanks again for the thread,

L