View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
LaPinturaBella

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
Yeah, for me it goes waaaaaay deeper than who does what around the house or who does what for a living.

I have always been good at fixing things. (maybe that led me to believe I could "fix" and alcoholic, lol) I can change a tire, replace a sprinkler head, install a dimmer switch. I can also sew and cook. I've excelled for the last 20 years in a male-dominated field. (IT). So it really threw me for a loop when I started digging in to my own head and discovered that all those gender things had latched onto my psyche like a parasite.

I somehow internalized the belief that my needs were less important, my passions were not as necessary, my talents were secondary--all because I didn't have anything dangling between my legs, lol.

L
Originally Posted by jds0401 View Post
Exactly!! LOL.

EXACTLY!!!! Women can and do things just as well as a man. But there are still gender stereotypes that exist...even in 2011 for crying out loud. Especially in the business arena. It is, however, changing....although slowly. More women than men now attend and graduate college. So things are beginning to equalize. However, men still make .30c more per dollar on average than a woman doing the exact same job. Still don't get that one...especially since something like 50% of households with children are headed by single mothers.