View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
lillamy

I do think our culture still has different expectations from women than from men, though. My daughter's teacher (male) even said that "she would not have gotten so familiar with the principal's office if she had been a boy" -- meaning that her behavior (full frontal verbal assault instead of catty backbiting gossip) would have been acceptable from a boy, but because it came from a girl, female teachers considered it "a serious problem"...

Also, because my teenage son has been your ultimate codie, always a helpful hand and a shoulder to cry on -- people assume he's gay. (Which I find fascinating. He says he's everything the American culture says gay men should be, except that he's attracted to women. And hates Celine Dion.)

I also think the US is a big enough country that ethnic, cultural, and regional differences in this area are HUGE, and that even between neighbors on the same street, you'll find different gender expectations.

I was raised to take care of and support myself and to never ever expect anything from a man. And I still ended up married to an A.