View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nowinsituation

I've been reflecting on this a bit lately myself, maybe because it was Mother's Day...

My Mom made made sure I got a college education, she encouraged me to pursue my chosen profession..... and she accepted my decision to put it on hold for awhile and get married and have babies. How hard that must have been for her to accept my decision without judgement, but then to wholly support me both emotionally and financially when I finished my degree. She has been a champion by almost demanding that all of her kids leave the nest and experience life and find their passion.

By her example however, she showed me that a woman's role is a stay-at-home mom, always putting the man first. Even between the girls and boy in the family, the boy (my brother's) needs always came first.

Subconsciously I took the route she showed me first.... get married, put the man first. It was what she taught me by her actions, not because I felt pressure from her or society to to it.

I hope that I am being a role-model for my daughter that takes away some of that subconscious pressure that her identity and worth only comes from being married.