View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LaPinturaBella

I'm 49 years old, never married, a self-employed decorative artist who used to have a big marketing job in the entertainment industry. It's been my choice not to marry (yet, if ever) and I'm THRILLED that women today have the choice to do what best suits them. That said...there is however sill a lot of misogyny that is alive and well. I personally experienced again just last week.

A many who owns an upholstery company approached me four months ago to rep his company on a part-time basis in the area where I live. Cool, it would bring in some extra money and was a good fit with my business. After putting me off over and over, I asked if we're moving forward because if not i have other avenues to pursue. His response was, "Why don't you just go get married?" Excuse me???

I don't define myself by what other people say or think of me, but that was just an inappropriate response on his part and he never would have said the equivalent to a man in business. It happens. More than I'd like to believe. Do I wish it didn't? Heck ya. It serves no purpose and doesn't really benefit anybody...men OR women.

Just my 2 cents. I'm now off to slay a dragon.