Old 05-10-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AmericanGirl
April 18, 2010

Azureseas, this was probably the coolest radio program I've ever heard. WOW. Thanks. (Well, I didn't like the Liz Gilbert part, but otherwise I was enthralled the whole time. )

I loved some of the ideas here and it only occurred to me at the very end that this is actually how my recovery started.

My counselor told me that there were two parts of me -- a part that genuinely cared for myself, and a (semi-sadistic) part that got a reward/thrill out of punishing myself (because "she" had been trained to do so and doing so was the "right" thing to do). The key was to learn to tell the evil half to f*** off (as the segment puts it, at that last part four minutes from the end). This was a major key to me because it made me understand how I persisted in drinking for so long even though I knew I shouldn't (because of the concept of two selves). Totally what this program is about. Thanks so much for sharing it. Every time I write about that part of my recovery here, I'm not sure it makes sense, but this program helps explain how it makes sense.