Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Autumn9

I feel like your life has mirrored mine. My bf not only is an alcoholic, but has health issues associated with it. He began to get pains on his left side in February. After a days of not being able to keep food or fluids down, I took him to the hospital. He has a fatty liver, and pancreatitis. He went through DT's, and kept saying "no more drinking, no more drinking". Upon coming home, he tried eating a little. The pain would come back, and he couldn't sleep. He asked me to get him nyquil. So naturally after being in the hospital for "alcohol" pancreatitis, I bought alcohol free nyquil. He raised a fit, and eventually went to get the original nyquil. After that, he gained his thirst for alcohol back. He would drink a fifth of vodka daily, and until April 20th, he hadn't had any other pancreatitis episodes. I noticed that he wasn't eating as much one week, and the trend from February continued. The pains came back, he couldn't eat, couldn't keep fluid down. So back to the ER we went, and he was admitted again for pancreatitis. It's been 2 weeks now, and as of last Tuesday he hadn't had any alcohol. (to my knowledge of course). I then noticed last Wednesday the smell of liquor when he went to put gas in his car and rent a dvd. He was calm when I mentioned it, and we hugged as he said he never thought he'd be like this. That he never wanted to be like this. I told him we were a team and I would support him as much as I could. Now being an enabler in the past, I feel for the routine. Since his last visit to the hospital he was as you described "a dry drunk". {I realized now, for the past year, after the hospital, he has been a dry drunk--which explains the abusive treatment, the emotional withholding, the extreme defensive anger and impatience at even having to listen to me } This past weekend, he drank at his catering job and attempted to bring two bottles of wine into the car. I threw them in the vineyard, told him to get into my car, and the abuse went on through Sunday. I am acknowledging that I was an enabler, and have not been since Friday. So much more could be written, but I am so tired....The arguing, the fighting, throwing stuff, and verbal abuse has taken a toll on me the past day. I need to let go of this person, get him out of my apartment, and move on if he doesn't seek the help he needs. It's so hard..... I truly thank you for your post, and knowing "I'm not crazy" that this isn't normal has put so much into perspective.