Thread: Same old dance
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SoloMio

Originally Posted by zrx1200R View Post
I'm only home a couple days a week. I was gone from the house for 15 straight hours today. Couldn't they at least TRY to not drink a little harder? I mean it's just a couple days a week. Why wait until I'm home?
Yes! I experience the SAME thing. I'm away on business a lot, I'll call home at night, AH is fine, but he picks me up from the airport wasted! ????

You're right, they go along with their "hidden" drinking and not-so-hidden drunken behavior, we resign ourselves and do the best we can. I am convinced that nothing short of a "spiritual awakening" will stop their drinking, and God knows we can't do THAT for them.

AH had an incident two weeks ago--he woke up next to his lawn mower. He thought he was having a heart attack, so he called 911. After 3 days of cardio and vascular tests, no sign of heart problems or stroke. Doctor said it was most likely warm weather combined with alcohol consumption (his blood alcohol level was REALLY high when he was admitted to the ER). He detoxed in the hospital and told the doc he would go to rehab.

When he got home, the lawn mower shaft was mangled and ruined. He had to buy a new lawn mower. So in my idealistic, metaphysical way of thinking, I HOPED it was like a strike from heaven, like Paul on the way to Damascus.

But, in reality, it took one week to go back to the old patterns. We was just as drunk last night as he usually is. I'm just bottomed out in the hope department. And after he laced my poor, defenseless BIL with meanness all the way home from dinner, I'm bottomed out in the patience department, too. Detach with love... I'm trying as hard I can until I can detach physically.