Thread: Sharing
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
buttercream

Sharing

I spent a lot of time hiding the fact that my husband is an alcoholic (and denying it to myself). I didn't want my family to know because I knew they would be judgmental and hound me to leave him, when I wanted to make my own choices without their interference. I didn't want friends to know because it was embarassing that I made such a bad choice when the rest of my life is stable and successful, and I didn't want him to be negatively affected by people knowing he had issues.

When I couldn't deny it any longer and started opening up about what I was going through, I discovered something shocking: pure support when I needed it the most. It was painful to tell my family, and they may have been a little judgmental at first, but they are respecting me by letting me work things out in my own way. They repeat that they are there for me if I need anything. With friends, I was surprised to learn that each one of them has an experience with an alcoholic, whether a parent, child, former boyfriend or girlfriend, or spouse--and they offer understanding and support.

They don't think I caused this. They don't think I can cure this. They know I can't control this. I was wrong to hide what was happening because I needed this support.