View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sandrawg

What people say about, he can be this way for a long time, is totally true.

I had a friend in my 20s who drank like crazy. Me and my friends who hung out wiht him, all knew he was alcoholic.

I lost touch wiith him.

20 yrs later, he friended all of us on facebook. He lives wiht his mother and does nothing but drink. We know this because that's all he talks about on facebook.

I frankly can't even believe he is alive, but there you go. 20 yrs of crazy drinking and still alive. Who knows what shape his liver is in and I suspect, at 43, he can't have too much longer to go before the s** hits the fan.

You do not want to be the woman there with him, long-suffering, through a progressive slide into that kind of pain. There is a much better life out there for you. It's your choice.

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
the drinking is something he will have to come to terms with on his own.......and not until HE is ready....for many many problem drinkers/alcoholics that can be a looonggg time. there is nothing you can SAY or DO that will snap him out of it. this is purely between him and the booze. if talking were all it took.....we wouldn't need SR.

what you CAN do is stop covering for him. all the collateral damage that happens when HE drinks? leave it alone. let HIM deal with it. if you don't want to be around him when he drinks, don't. you shouldn't have to put up with ANY nonsense from anyone, much less your partner. he gets out of control, you leave. or call the cops if safety is an issue.