Old 05-06-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FNB3
Servant of God

Lipitor, I really think there are cost an casualties of sobriety. I really believe that is a total transformation in lifestyle and belief systems. Our old belief systems are often what leads us to drink in the first place. Interactions with people and life create great struggle within because of these old values. One of the last thing I figured out was that my beliefs and values were holding me down and that some of them had to change. I think sobriety is a total rewiring of thought patterns.

You have to be willing to accept the fact that many of your friends and loved ones won't like being around the new you. And you won't like being around them either. Stay focused on creating the new you because there will be many detractors. I found that many of my old relationships died because seeing change in me while they were doing the same old thing caused them to feel bad about themselves. Be prepared to lose some things and some people for sobriety. Sobriety reveals the genuine truth. Embrace losses as progress because it says you are changing.

If you surround yourself with the same people, places and things, that you did as a drinker, life will probably be full of situations conducive to drinking.

Most importantly, don't be too ashamed to come back here soon. Push yourself through any shame and embarrassment if you feel that way and get right back in here. You will feel great again for it and others can learn from your experience.