Thread: It gets easier!
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ronan

It gets easier!

Hello all,

I haven't posted here in a while and I guess that's because I have to make more of a conscious effort to focus on my sobriety when things are going well. I have to say I don't think I've ever been happier. I got 6 months last year but relapsed when I went back to college. I guess at 25 I feared I was losing my youthly attitude and the sounds of everyone talking about how wasted they had gotten the night before etc became too much to resist.

At the moment I haven't drank since New Years Eve. It wasn't at a party, it was on my own in my room - day 3 or 4 of a serious bender. That's how I liked to drink though, solitude is bliss when you have the internet for music and a bottle of vodka for company.

Getting back on the wagon this time was far easier for me than ever before. The only thing I can liken it to is that I had spent years digging myself a huge hole. By the time I knew I needed to quit drinking forever (about 3 or 4 years ago) it seemed like I could never climb out of it. I quit for a week or two here and there, but was always craving and not in a good place mentally. But as the attempts to quit went on and I began to make some tough changes in my life, the hole I had dug for myself seemed to be getting shallower. I can only do my best to stay sober for good this time. I really had my ass kicked the last time I relapsed and I've definitely learned a lot about myself from it.

So I'm just over 4 months sober now and in a great place. About to start exams tomorrow which will hopefully go well And I'll celebrate when they're finished with my amazing girlfriend and friends who've stuck by me through all of this.

One of the most important things I will say to anybody who's starting the struggle is that you simply MUST get rid of your friends who are no good for you. Sure there are some grey area friends but it is of the utmost importance to surround yourself with people who want to see you succeed.

I haven't been to a meeting in weeks but I plan on going regularly during the summer. I'm still inside the hole, and I'm sure there's an awfully long way to go yet. Don't give up and sobriety will come. The hardest part is overcoming the situation which has built up around your problem. And it certainly won't get any better until you put the drink down and start putting in some work.

Thanks soberrecovery I couldn't have landed in the place I'm in now if it wasn't for this site to point me in the right direction.