View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sandrawg

I think I remember seeing at an al-anon meeting recently, that al-anon has produced some publications for children, to educate them about alcoholism. I'm not sure what age groups they are targeted to, but you might want to look into that.

It seems like it's never to early to educate your children when the potential ramifications of being a child of an alcoholic can be huge. I don't have kids but I did see my nieces and nephews struggle because 2 of my sisters married alcoholics or addicts.

Originally Posted by wanttobehealthy View Post
I don't expect AH to show up for me or keep a single promise to me anymore-- and I guess I ought not expect or hope for it for my kids...

It is just heartbreaking to see young kids who have no way to understand why he is doing this, hurting bc he lets them down. And even if there's no promise, their wondering why he's awol is something that I grew up with as a kid and I blamed myself for it.

I don't know how to stop my D's from doing this. I don't want them feeling it is bc of them that he's not doing what he's promised or what they assume he will.

There really ought to be al-a-toddler meetings...

I hate to see them hurting and know that other than comfort them there is not a damn thing I can do to stop the cause of that hurt.

In no other circumstance would I continue to let the thing/person that causes them pain, be a part of their lives, but I have no choice until a judge says otherwise.

Journal has already been written for today. That was #1 task.