Thread: Told AH...
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
lillamy

I'm still stuck on trying to "save" my AP from the consequences of his actions. I'm just so scared he will become one of those faceless men on the street that have no one, and he has such a beautiful soul when he isn't drinking, I don't want that to happen to him.
And there's only one person who can make that decision for him, and it's not you. Right? (I'm telling myself as much as I'm telling you...)

Stop trying to save him. Period. Especially from the consequences of his actions. It is the single worst thing you could possibly do, and if he's going to find recovery at all you are making it take longer by doing so.

You know this. Now stop "saving." It's not saving at all. It's digging the hole deeper. Stop digging.
I'd like to have that tattooed on the inside of my eyelids. Temporarily. Because I'm getting closer to learning it. But it's one of those two steps forward, one step back processes.

And WTBH, good work. It's a situation that's so helpful to hear about, because it really is a situation where your AH gets to face the consequences of his actions -- and one where it's also very clear that he has a choice whether to start figuring out that maybe he's got a problem or to find someone else to blame...