View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alone22

Hi CAS! My degree is in psychology and I wanted to become a MFCC, but I took another route in life because I was ready to get married and wanted to buy a house. SO I totally understand where you are coming from, but we are like everyone else and need help at times. Would you tell a doctor not to go see another doctor when they are sick? What a T brings is experience, guidance and are a person you can trust to help you see through a difficult point in your life. Just because you need some help now doesn't mean you would not make a great T someday. In fact it may make you a better one.

Your AH may love you enough to fight for you but as long he is not in recovery you may never really know. One month of no drinking in my opinion is not long enough for the bottle to be out of the picture. It really isn't about you, it is about his illness. That is a hard one for me to get. I have years of hurt built up and I can tell you that I need for him to get that before we will ever be able to repair our relationship. Just today he wanted to "talk" because he is not happy (I have pulled away from him and all the drama that comes with his illness) and one of the first things he said to me was "you are still mad at me because of your birthday"..... as if it was about time I get over it. I explained to him in as few words as I could find that I have MANY hurts that still need to be healed and until we are able to deal with them I can not get over them. We can not deal with them because he continues to be an active A. We tried MC and all that came out of that was he needs to work on his issues (and I need to work on mine) before anything can heal in our relationship. Until your husband is in recovery I think this would apply to you too.

It would be very nice for them if we could just sweep our feelings under a rug but we can't and shouldn't. Once our AH are in true recovery then they will be more accepting and understanding of why we can't and will work to make things better... and if they never make it to being in recovery? Then they will never get "IT".

If you haven't already done so go to Alanon and also read Codependence No More. Both really have helped me understand what is going on and to focus on what I can do to be happy and find some serenity.