View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 12:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

What are some of your triggers?

I've been thinking a lot the last few days about triggers, and finding myself keenly aware when it happens to me - the reaction I get when I am triggered by something, and that split second between awareness and action...

I have found some threads to be a trigger here, and that I am better off closing them out instead of allowing myself to post something on them that may be controversial.

I have found myself really annoyed twice now by one of my colleagues...she and I have a history of butting heads in the past and this week has been especially challenging.

My sister - sheesh - she triggers me in ways I struggle to manage, even after all of these years of expecting and getting the very behaviors that trigger me.

Today's experience: I took my truck in to have the studded tires taken off and the summer tires put on this morning. Because my new house is about 2 miles from the shop, I took my bike to ride home. Well, somehow the chain got very snagged in the sprocket and was completely cranked up - and of course I didn't have any tools with me because I can't find my bike bag at the moment, so I ended up taking the bike for a walk instead of riding it home. I had a couple minutes of sheer anger at my RAH - damnit he did bring the bike over a few days ago and he BROKE IT and now I am walking and its cold and then...the sun broke over the ridgeline and was so beautiful that I laughed...and thanked my HP for putting me in a place to stop and enjoy the sunrise. And it helped me to realize that maybe it wasn't my RAH who broke my bike. Maybe it was me... I could have done that to the chain, ya know?! And I didn't call him to tell him how pissed I was. Instead I had a nice walk in the frosty but sunny morning. And the RAH - well - he stopped by on his lunch hour and managed to pry the chain out with only a few bent spots, making it rideable again, for the trip back to the shop this afternoon.

I've learned this week that I don't have to react to every little thing that comes at me. I've learned to take that split second of awareness of my emotions and do something different than react. I am not perfect...but I am learning.

What are your triggers? Do you think about them and find ways to do something different next time? Is it working for you?

All opinions welcome!