View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JohnBarleycorn

Originally Posted by recycle View Post
What 'recovery' is Camus referring to? I don't have more than a Wikipedia understanding of Camus.
I believe he is saying that once the moment comes when we become aware of the futility of "the mechanical life" (what we are doing over and over again without thinking), we begin to wonder why we do what we do.

Once that happens, we have a choice: we disregard the question (denial) and go back to the chain - that is, back to what we where doing - or we accept what we've become aware of and we decide to see where it leads us.

If we do the latter, we are eventually thrown into a state of existential nihilism, neither able to go back to what we where doing, or having an alternate purpose instead, and we are faced with another choice: suicide or recovery.

The "Alcoholics Anonymous" book (1st Edition) describes this dilemma:

He cannot picture life without alcohol. Some day he will be unable to imagine life either with alcohol or without it. Then he will know loneliness such as few do. He will be at the jumping-off place. He will wish for the end.
Camus is saying that it is legitimate and necessary to wonder whether life has a meaning at this point, and, therefore, it is legitimate to meet the problem of suicide face to face.

He concludes that this is good, because he believes that it is possible to find the means to proceed beyond this nihilism, to find a new purpose.

I'm sure you can see the parallels to addiction and recovery.