View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
katte

I've been through this twice with my 17 year old. Once a couple of years ago and again this year. There's not much you can do for them apart from just being there and listening. The listening is hard because naturally you want to make things better by giving advice but it's generally not welcome. We just spent a lot of tearful and angry hours on the couch. I tried making sure she had dinner made and I would just walk out of the room to breathe when I felt myself getting impatient and angry. I even cried my frustration out in the bathroom a couple of times.
The only thing I would repeat to her was that I understood that this was horrible pain but that she WOULD get through it and that we would look back in a few weeks and she would be feeling better and stronger. I also assured her that she was not alone - billions of people, nearly everyone, had been through this. It's just part of being human.
Try to encourage her to see her friends. Watch movies together. This will pass. My kid rebounded quite quickly, probably quicker than I did after the whole drama! Hang in there!