Thread: Trial
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
sandrawg

I know this is stressful for you - I'm sorry. But it sounds like you have a good, practical, healthy attitude about it!

Originally Posted by wanttobehealthy View Post
Fired my lawyer who was hired to "help" AH's defense. Prosecutor's office called me today. I talked with the victim advocate for a while and told her he's an alcoholic, and his 'history' of rehab/recovery attempts. She said the Prosecutor already figured that out from what was written in the police statement and that the "plea" offer was that AH get a suspended sentence but has to go to a year of court mandated rehab and AA mtg's. I don't have an opinion about this which surprises me bc originally when he was arrested I "hoped" this would make him get help. Now I think that no matter what happens with court, until HE decides to get help no one forcing it (not even the court) will matter.

I will testify at the DV trial against AH. I don't have much choice. The State pressed charges, not me and I have to testify OR plead the 5th and if I do that I can be held in contempt of court. Given the option of saving AH's a$$ or mine, I choose mine.

AH did not want me to fire my lawyer or testify. I kind of dread the fall out from this bc he will likely wind up with a record (if he doesn't take the plea deal) and lose his job and that WILL impact our kids pretty badly. But he made choices and it's not my job to protect him from the natural consequences of his behavior.

In my mind I do feel guilty and feel a twinge of "I shouldn't do this to him" but the logical side of my brain knows this is irrational so I just need to remind myself of this.