Thread: Trial
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

Originally Posted by NoDaybutoday View Post
Hi WTBH, sorry for posting this under an alternate screen name, but I have lost the password for my usual NoDaybut2day identity.

Just wanted to chime in with a hug of encouragement for the trial and testifying.

Having read the threads that were posted over the week-end, I agree with you that this is the soundest strategy to reducing visitation to as little as possible or potentially obtaining supervised visitation. Your AH's actions may well give you the ammo you need to safeguard your daughters.

I remember how tricky it was to navigate these waters when I was separated from XAH but not divorced yet, and I wasn't living with him anymore! I did a whole lot of travelling back and forth from my parents' place to AH's apartment to provide him with the visitation he demanded AND supervised all visits myself, all the while accumulating evidence against him...it was so stressful. I remember smiling to him ever so politely and thinking to myself "I'm so two-faced...Here I am being nice and I'm about to have his served with proceedings for the custody of our child". Kudos to you for keeping your wits about you, especially with his family attacking you left, right and center.

So, what happens after your testify against your AH? How long before he gets sentenced?
I don't know-- in answer to the above. It's not a jury trial. It's just a judge, the lawyer(s) and us. And the police and any witnesses (but there weren't any). So, the Prosecutor said that IF he does not take a plea deal and it does go to trial the judge will decide then and there and give a sentence. There is not jail time that is likely to be involved.... It's going to be a matter of a fine, some kind of rehab/counseling and possibly a conviction of a Class A Misdemeanor (worst case scenario).

I think that whatever the outcome is it will be good for me custody wise that this happened. As bad as that sounds, it definitely gives credence to my concerns about his behavior and I hope that his being court involved will help with his having to have supervised visitation until a point in time that he can demonstrate he's ???? (sane, in control, in recovery...?)