Thread: Please STOP
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 04:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
catlovermi

The beauty, and strength, of recovery is tools. People in recovery, by definition, have sustained a pretty good dose of injury and trauma, and in the course of recovery it's pretty common to have some tools hurled into our laps that take us a while to master. I know in my own journey I was fairly unpracticed at many of the tools early on and it was a steep learning curve.

I have learned that recovery is full of PEOPLE. That means: there is plenty of dysfunction, alternate opinion, and, sometimes, folks I just don't mesh with. So I try to focus on the tools, in recovery. I try to see how people are using them, or not, or getting progress, or not. And then I take a look at my own circumstances, and try out the tools with practice.

I myself am very triggered by my own perception of other people taking over my story, so my executive tool is to limit what I post to things that help me utilize my tool box. I grew up under toxic, controlling forces that were full of opinions of how I SHOULD be, and as an adult, I now choose not to open that door too much in recovery, and instead opt to use posting and reading in ways that are beneficial to me but don't open too many triggers.

Maybe my learning curve is slower as a result, but I still make forward progress, every day.

The biggest lesson in recovery for me is that I OWN MY OWN LIFE, and I CONTROL IT. So, I get to make these decisions. Way cool.

Sending encouragement, keep coming back as you want and need to get the help you seek. It's your journey, and you own it!

CLMI