Thread: My own relapse
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
lillamy

Is it common that as alcoholism progresses, one's maturity level decreases? He's drinking much much less than he used to but mentally and emotionally he's far more immature than he has ever been and his rationalization and b.s. meter is off the charts.
Don't know if it's common but I'm seeing the same thing. Even in the quality of the insults he hurls at me. Everything's becoming less mature.

As for the safety issues with the kids -- someone on another thread here talked about how strange it is that we (some of us, I know I did) will leave our children with a spouse that we know for a fact will be drunk when we get back... whereas we'd be livid and probably calling the cops if we hired a babysitter and came back to find her/him drunk. I ask myself on an almost daily basis, "Why would I accept this from (R)AXH when I would find it completely and utterly unacceptable from any other human in the universe?"

It is great that you're taking it up with the therapist, and I'm sorry your AH can't use the therapy sessions for what they're intended for, but unloaded on you afterwards instead.