Old 04-23-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Yep, I am glad you 'hung in there.'

I know that fight so well and I know how long it took.

I am so happy for you!!!!!!!

You starting getting your monthly check before you get your back pay. Back pay may take up to 2 months, but sometimes is within 3 week of first monthly payment. Be aware it may not be as much as you figure. Even though it goes back to 11/8/08 there is something in the 'rules' of SS that they can discount the first 6 months, and then they have a few other things, like they figure the payment based not on the current payment but what the payments would have been before any increases. However, in your case that won't be too bad because there have been no COL (Cost of Livng) increases for '10 and '11.

I really am happy for you, knowing that XXX amount is coming in every month as a 'base' gives one a real working budget. I know when I was finally approved, the 'stress level' went way down, and the 'relief level' went way up. When the 'back pay' finally came in I was able to 'pay back' those that had helped me financially during my long 'fight' and still have a cushion which went into savings, also giving me a 'more secure' feeling.

Whether it is SSI or SSDI you will now have insurance coverage also, either medicare and medicaid (to cover prescriptions) or medicaid (to cover it all). That in itself is a 'God send.' To this day, if I had to pay 'out of pocket for my medications, between my diabetes, heart meds, and pain meds, it would be almost $2,000 a month.

I am just so happy for you!!!!! I know the fight so well. SS has the attitude that if they 'deny' long enough most applying for disability will either get discouraged or die. You did neither, nor did I.

Love and hugs,