View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
concernednurse

Originally Posted by theuncertainty View Post
That, I think is going to be my litmus test for whether I'm (ever) ready for another romantic relationship: Can I be myself around this person? Imperfect, flawed, type A organizing neat freak, goofball, math nerd, a smart, kind, giving person..... without acting on the feeling (whether self-imposed or otherwise) that I need to change, to be more serious, more quiet, more outgoing, more or less smart... or whatever.
You know what gets me about all of this, and it speaks to someone's post recently that said... there's healthy people out there, the trick is learning how to be attracted to them, is that: if you read "My story" which I just posted early this morning, at the beginning of our relationship, I did accept him for who he was. He was just as much an alcoholic at the beginning as he is now... so why was I able to accept him as he was then, but not now? I suppose maybe at the beginning of a relationship people are on their best behavior... they say "you don't know what you don't know,"..."when you know better, you do better," and one of the hard ones, "you can't know right now." Time does reveal and heal, its fascinating. And part of my own journey is learning why I am attracted to people who are addicted, or conversely, why I'm not attracted to healthy people...