View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kirsteym

Back in Rehab, What's Next?

My young adult daughter is a heroin addict. In the past 60 days, she has been therapeutically discharged (kicked out) of 2 rehabs and she has run away twice from a recovery home.

On the second runaway, she drove while high (and with a suspended license) and caused an accident. Her 2nd DUI.

On the day she was released from the hospital, she asked to go back into rehab. Hmm, says I. Why didn't you tell the hospital staff you wanted to go into rehab as they could have transferred you directly?

I didn't know, she says. (Not likely the truth as she's been transferred from the hospital in the past.)

I questioned her seriousness and she came up with the $$ for the deductible.

OK, I think, maybe she's serious.

It takes a few days for a bed to become available and she's WD'ing, so I take her back in my home with lots of treppidation. But we make it w/o incident and she goes back into rehab where she is now in her 2nd week.

I've been reading a lot of the posts in the forum and trying to sort out my own feelings. If I'm honest, what I want to happen next is this: I don't want her to come home. I don't want to pay for another recovery home near our home. In fact, I'm real tired of paying and paying and paying and seeing no results.

However, I'm hearing things from her that I haven't heard in many years. When she calls crying, she's now crying that she's sorry for the pain she's caused and for blaming me for all the troubles in her life. This is a big switch. She used to call crying that she wanted to come home.

She called to talk about how much legal trouble she thinks she's in. This is also a switch. She's facing reality - something she hasn't done in a long, long time.

So, my long-winded question is, am I still in co-dependency mode by considering giving her financial help again. What I'm considering is, paying for a long-term (6+ months) treatment program or recovery home that is in an opposite corner of the state we're in. (I'd love for her to go out of state - the other side of the states even - but she has the legal stuff to deal with.)