Thread: Binge Eating
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
jamdls

When I stopped drinking I became addicted to chocolate, I had always loved chocolate but I became addicted to it. I would buy 4lb bags of M&Ms at least twice a week and eat the M&Ms by color in addition to chocolate cake/brownies/fudge...I lived alone so didn't have to share with anyone...many nights during the first few months of sobriety my "dinner" was just chocolate with maybe popcorn or chips...I physically felt horrible but I just couldn't stay away from the chocolate and other junk food. I had always been thin, when I drank I regularly passed on food and just drank, I gained 25 lbs during the first yr of sobriety which was a 20% weight increase. I had cravings for chocolate more intense than any alcohol cravings I ever had, I'd wake up in the middle of the night craving chocolate; I'd fall asleep eating chocolate (and trust me it's not pleasant waking up with chocolate smeared all over the sheets...) if I was home in the evening and realized there was no chocolate or very little chocolate I'd go into a full blown panic attack (at the time I was afraid to go out after dark). After having many stomach problems I started eating healthy and working out regularly and lost all the weight, I now am trying to live sugar free. I personally don't consider alcoholism to be a "disease" but I would put compulsive overeating in the same category as alcoholism.