Thread: Binge Eating
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Supercrew

I started thinking about this thread today as I was driving around LA and seeing overweight people.

I am getting to believe drinking is alot like having a compulsion to overeat. Many people have trouble controlling their eating habits and I myself have been known to polish off a half gallon of ice cream in a sitting or 2 bags of chips, or going back for 3rds at Thanksgiving. When I have done these things in the past it almost feels like I have no control over myself as I continue to stuff my face. This is very similar to the way I drank. I know I had my fill, but for some reason I wanted more and would continue.

I am curious to see if anyone else feels this way. Basically while driving around I saw numerous people who were at least one hundred pounds over weight. Are these the "foodaholics"? The only major difference I see between a "foodaholic" and an alcoholic is alcohol injures your brain and we become physically addicted. So although alcohol affects us mentally are we really that much different than someone who overeats? Dieting for a overeater is much like moderation for an alcoholic, we might be able to pull it off for a while, but the only real way to get thin is through a total lifestyle change, where the overeater doesn't cheat at all and incorporates other physical actions in there plan to completely change their eating habits.

If this is the case would you ever consider over eating a disease, or is it just a compulsion that can normally be fixed with a plan and by taking action? I am not trying to say that alcoholism isn't a disease, but after sitting on the couch and eating a whole box of girl scout cookies even though I wasn't hungry is there really much of a difference? I am curious to hear thoughts.