View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

And.... again... my gut is right! Everything you said is what I thought too but I have no idea-- I'm not an alcoholic, I don't know what he hears at AA, I am not him. I don't want to be him and I don't want to try and "show him the way" anymore... Mostly I just wanted to know for my sanity whether or not what sounded like bs to me, sounded that way to anyone else! Thanks!

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
What I am told is this:

"relapse is part of recovery-- everyone does it" No, relapse is part of alcoholism. It is not part of recovery.

"it's common to have multiple relapses but as long as they lessen in severity that's making progress" No, it is not making progress to relapse. Period.

"it's unreasonable to think someone can just stop cold turkey without a few relapses" Stopping cold turkey might be dangerous to some alcoholics, but again, relapse is not part of recovery.

Whether or not he is hearing this in AA or if he just thinks he is hearing this, it is painfully obvious that he is not taking his recovery seriously. I believe he is doing the bare minimum he has to and trying to convince you he is doing all he can. He isn't.

Just an FYI - I am an alcoholic.