View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
blueskye

Need Second Opinion

Two days ago I went to my ABF's house and found him on the floor nearly comatose from alcohol and a few prescription drugs he was prescribed after he broke his foot on a binge the two nights before. He has never had a drug problem. There was blood all over the wall and the carpet where he collapsed and hit his head from broken glass he was carrying. I had to call EMS and watch them take him away all the while he was saying "Where am I?" He was in a rehab for six weeks over x-mas holidays. The trouble with him is that he is close to needing a new liver from a blood clot is in his portal vein that blocks his liver and can't be removed, causing it not to function properly. So when he drinks, he can die! This past Sunday was his fourth time to drink since getting out of rehab this past January. This was also the closest and most dangerous face with death. He has been going to his AA meeting but I am told by his sponsor he has not been doing the real work. His sponsor said he saw this coming. I am relatively inexperience with alcoholics...although I have had quite a lesson lately. He has been in the hospital three days now and will get out tomorrow. His sponsor told me I had to tell him that I was done with him and could not have any contact with him until he is sober for 90 days. The sponsor seems to be great but 90 days sober before any contact seems crazy. I have made it two days and am dying inside while I know how much he is hurting from the shame he caused everyone around him on this three day binge. The sponsor says it's for me too, but I can't seem to understand why so many days with no contact. This seems extreme, but I want to do the best thing. I have never felt so empty inside. It feels as though he is dead..just gone from my life with no warning. I can't stop crying both for myself and for him. I understand leaving him until he is sober a time but no contact? Does this seem right? His sponsor tells me he is planning to check himself into another rehab. Help! Yes, I am attending my first Al-anon meeting in a couple of hours. I am hurting so much. Thanks for reading.